Monday, March 26, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



 I’m joining Jen & Kellee (and many other bloggers) in discussing what we are reading this week. Join us! Go to their site and link up your own blog.

Each year I look forward to the months of October and March so I can spend the day at Teachers College Reading and Writing Project at their Saturday Reunion.  This day always leaves me energized and eager to go back to my classroom to try out new ideas and at the same time reaffirms what I already have in place in my classroom and in my teaching.  The night before the reunion, I always get comfortable with a colored pen in one hand and the workshop schedule in the other to underline and star the workshops I want to attend.  One workshop that I always look forward to each year is the one led by Rob Ross on “New Book Titles” for read aloud and to use as mentors in writing workshop.  Of course this workshop always leads me to a trip to the closest bookstore or a visit online to Amazon to buy the titles I don’t already own!

Dear Hot Dog by Mordicai Gerstein is a poetry book about everyday things such as socks, toes, toothbrushes, pants, and more everyday objects.  The poems don't all rhyme and the word choice is specific.  This is not only a great poetry book to read aloud and enjoy with kids, but also a perfect poetry mentor for them to use as they write their own poems since they can write about everyday objects and living things in their own lives!


Our White House Looking In Looking Out by 110 Renowned Authors and Illustrators such as  Kate DiCamillo, Jon Sciezka and many more.  It is picture book that includes essays, actual speeches, letters, memoir, poetry, fictional stories, transcripts of interviews, and much more! This is definitely going to become a favorite for many students who love trivia, history, facts, and stories!




A Gift of Days: The Greatest Words to Live by written and illustrated by Stephen Alcorn is a book full of quotes for each day in the year.  It starts with January 1 and continues on with a total of 366 quotes by Maya Angelou, Steve Jobs, Oprah, Martin Luther King Jr., and many more noteworthy figures in the world.  I can’t wait to purchase this book and begin reading a quote a day at morning meeting – so powerful to talk about the meaning of quotes with our students!






Chopsticks by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a hysterical picture book that would be ideal for read aloud to enjoy the play on words together! If you enjoyed reading her other books, such as Spoon, then you will absolutely love this one!





Iceberg Right Ahead: the Tragedy of the Titanic by Stephanie McPherson is a Narrative NF book about the Titanic that includes photographs, anecdotes, trivia, and interviews.  The 100 year anniversary of the tragic sinking is approaching. 





Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett is a humorous picture book that reminds me of  Knuffle Bunny.  It will be a great mentor for students to use while they are writing fictional stories with strong characters and diaglogue.  This title will be released on April 3rd. 



Should We Have Pets? by Sylvia Lollis with Joyce Hogan and her second grade class, is a persuasive text that is similar to Should There be Zoos by Tony Stead. In this book, a second grade class presents arguments for and against owning a pet.  I see this as being a perfect mentor for students who are writing argumentative essays, persuasive essays, and learning how to debate respectfully with others.    



3 comments:

  1. Always looking for great new poetry books--I just ordered DEAR HOT DOG after reading this! Looks great--thanks for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- you definitely added some books to my TBR. I am a bit obsessed with the Titanic, I love books that teach me new facts, I am always looking for new poetry books, and anything that reminds you of Knuffle Bunny is a win. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely be at the New Book Titles breakout, too! These look great! I love going to conferences and connecting with people and get reenergized! Sounds like fun. These look like some neat titles, too!

    ReplyDelete