Monday, August 27, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



First of all, I want to thank Jen and Kellee for hosting What Are You Reading at their blog, Teachmentortexts.com.  I have gotten so many great recommendations from them and from participants.


Over the week, I have been listening to the Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis and I've had a revelation about why I love books. I like seeing and touching and knowing how much more I have to read. In the case of this particular book, I want to know how much longer this sadness will continue. When I read the book, I know how many pages I have left and I have some control over how quickly I read them; I may even skim some in order to make sure that the character is okay, especially if I have developed a strong connection with the character. I find myself wanting the narrator to read faster or to fast forward the disc--but then I won't know if I've missed something important!

In any case, The Mighty Miss Malone is sad! Set during the Depression, this family can not seem to find a break. I am on the seventh of seven CDs so I'm assuming that there is going to be some sort of resolution for them, but I am still not sure what it will be. If I had the book, I would be tempted to read the last few pages to make sure that the characters turn out okay! (Yes, I snooped for Christmas presents, as well...)

Students come on Wednesday and reading time will diminish. Thanks again for all of the recommendations throughout the summer!

1 comment: