Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Slice of Life: "Her mother's hair!"


Every Tuesday, the writing community of Two Writing Teachers hosts Slice of Life. All are welcome to participate by linking up posts or commenting on other participants. 


Kindergarten teachers have one of the hardest jobs I can think of for at least the first six weeks of school. Today, I spent time in a new teacher's kindergarten writing workshop. Because she had so many structures of workshop solidly in place, I got to see some of the writing these children were doing. Most of kindergarten writing involves talking and drawing at this point of the year, and I sat down with a little girl who was busy with her picture. She had three crayons in her hand-- a white one, a black one, and a brown one-- and she was using them to draw around a non-descript circle.

I resisted the urge to manage her use of utensils.

"What are you working on?" I asked.

She held up the three crayons to make sure I could see their colors. "My mother's hair," she answered.

How glad was I that I asked. I did sit down and showed her how she could draw stripes using one color at a time to produce the desired effect of highlights and lowlights.

"What a great observer of colors you are!" I said.

While kindergarten teachers may expend the most energy, they may also get to hear some of the funniest things kids say.

Happy Writing,



5 comments:

  1. Love this -- so true!! Always important to hear the why behind what they are doing! Thanks for giving us all the chance to smile with your slice today!!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet slice. There would have been no way to guess the three crayons were for mom's hair. Observe, wait, ask before jumping in to help - useful advice with older kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me f the importance of asking why! And not rushing in to fix or correct. Thanks for the cute story too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what you can find out if you stop and ask! Weren't you dying to know what her mom's hair really looks like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made me so excited for my future as a kindergarten teacher! Although the job is tough just by reading this post I know it will be so worth it. The laughs and giggles they bring you will out weigh the craziness! I also know to always ask "why" now! :)

    ReplyDelete