Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Slice of Life: The tiredness would have to wait a little bit longer.

Every Tuesday, the writing community of Two Writing Teachers hosts Slice of Life. All are welcome to participate by linking up posts or commenting on other participants. 



For the last few weeks, I have been working in a third-grade classroom, side by side with the classroom teachers, doing everything we can to grow those writers. She had a group of them who struggled. Couldn't think of ideas. Couldn't remember what they were going to write. Couldn't spell a word and because of it sat paralyzed throughout independent writing time. Keep listing the couldn't's. Yep. All of them. 

Our goal has been to give these students courage and confidence to share their stories, and over the last week or so, we've seen it. Kids who have never written a story have tapped me on the shoulder. 

"Read this," I've heard. And guess what? They have really good stories! 

So today we asked them to write their best story. They didn't need to know it was code for an on-demand assessment. I brought eight of them down to my office, and seven of them got going with the process of planning and drafting, just like old pros. 

One of them sat there. She wrote a plan. Then she sat there again. She wrote a sentence. And then sat there. 

Oh no. 

"What's going on here,  M?" I whispered. "You've been writing great stories. What's getting in your way?"

I reminded her of how she could explain what gets in her way, how she'd been the kid who has said to me that she couldn't pay attention to the minilessons because she needed lessons that were her level. (I love this kid.)

She stared at me, her eyes wide. "I'm so tired," she said. "I didn't get enough sleep at all last night." She went on to tell me about everything that had happened up until her much-too-late bedtime and then her much-too-early wake up time. 

"But you can still do this I said." I remembered some of the messages from a speaker our district had last week. (Lynn Lyons is phenomenal, by the way.) She had talked more about anxiety than about fatigue, but I figured close enough, maybe. One of her ideas involved having kids give their worry a name so that they can address it, rather than be held captive by it.  "How about you talk to your tiredness and tell it that you have to get some work done. It will just have to wait before taking over?"

M. looked at me like a was a little crazy, but she sparked up. And fifteen minutes, she had a story completed. Did I mention that I love this kid?

Happy Slicing,


6 comments:

  1. Talking back to personified feelings? Sounds like a creative way to name an obstacle as part of negotiating ways around or through it. Thanks for the idea by way of Lynn Lyons and M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always find out so much about our learners when we ask what's getting in the way of their success. I love how you found a creative way for this child to manage her fatigue and get the on-demand assignment completed. And I'm going to remember this technique for next time I'm tired and don't think I can get through my final task of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going through a divorce case is very heart broken when you love your partner with the whole of your heart.. My husband left me for a total stranger and I could not imagine what the hell was happening because everything looks like a dream to me. I was lost and confused about my life without any way to get a solution to make my husband see reasons with me that I love him so much. I was very depressed and desperate to win back my husband and I searched on GOOGLE for help about my situation and I got recommended to Lord Zakuza who is a powerful spell caster for he has so many magnificent testimonies and reviews on the internet from different people all over the world. I got in touch with him and I poured out my sorrowful heart to him and he encouraged and promised to help me out. He gave me some instructions of which a adhered to and within 48 hours of contacting Lord Zakuza my attorney called me to get me informed that the divorce case has been cancelled and I got a call from my husband 30 minutes after I finished speaking to my attorney. My husband and I are so much in Love with endless care and happiness and I so much thank Lord Zakuza for doing this for me and I know people out there might also need their partner or lovers back or want to get pregnant for your partner or husband. You can Text & WhatsApp Lord Zakuza on +1 740-573-9483 or email him via: ( Lordzakuza7@gmail.com ) for a change of story in your love life..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here we will help you in downloading HBSE 12th class books in Pdf format. We’re going to provide you with direct links to download these books for free. You will be able to download the books for almost all the subjects i.e. Haryana 11th Class Syllabus Hindi, English, Maths, Science, Punjabi, Economics etc. Or if you do not find any book from there you can download books from the other sites that we have mentioned in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank to Dr. Ogaga for bring back my lover in just 24 hours, when my lover left me i was sad and unhappy i wanted to kill my self because i love him so much i try to do what i can to get him but it did not work than I reach my friends and beg for them to help me beg him that am so sorry for what i have done, but it never work when i was browsing on my face-book. i saw some testimony of the great man and how he help people to bring back their lost lover back that is when i contacted him on Whats-App +2347059387282 in just 24 hours my story change, my lover that left me come back and beg after five month i was so happy that my lover is back to me all my appreciation goes to Dr Ogaga for bring back my lover back contact him if you are having any similar problem like this are any problem you may have Dr. Ogaga is the solution man, Whats-App him on +2347059387282

    ReplyDelete