Monday, February 4, 2013

It's Monday! What are You Reading?

Thank you Jen and Kellee for hosting this weekly!  To see what others are reading and recommending, or to participate, be sure to check out their blog Teach Mentor Texts :)

Below are some books I read this past week: 
  

couldn't wait to read Like Bug Juice on a Burger via NetGalley!  Like Bug Juice on a Burger will be published at the beginning of April so I was extremely grateful that I was able to read it early.  I am now a fan of this series - it is adorable and humorous!  If you haven't read the first book, Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie, I highly recommend that you add it to your TBR along with Like Bug Juice on a Burger that will be out in April!

I also read Third Grade Mix-Up (Sidney & Sydney) by Michele Jakubowski and Luisa Montalto which was just published on February 1st!  It is a very cute story about a girl named Sydney and a new boy in town named Sidney.  They meet each other on the first day of school in third grade and there are many adventures from that day on in this book.  This book is great for kids in third grade and up and will also be a series for middle grade reluctant readers too.  I'm looking forward to book 2! 

Recently, I read some reviews about Genie Wishes by Elisabeth Dahl so I was excited to get the opportunity to read it early via NetGalley - it will be published April 2nd.  This book is about a fifth grade girl named Genie who is facing common friendship challenges that most fifth grade girls face at her age.  She has also been given the opportunity to be the student blogger for their class blog - I love how this book weaves in technology and blogs in classrooms!  Throughout the book, Genie writes blog posts and always includes one wish at the end of each post.  This is Elisabeth Dahl's first book, but I am hoping that this will become a series about Genie!  

Happy Reading! :)










5 comments:

  1. These all looked good but were a tiny bit too young for my middle school students. Pretty covers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all these "coming soon" titles. Always nice to know what's on the horizon and might pique kids' interests. Lots of good buzz around Genie Wishes, and I bet my own 11yo daughter would love it!

    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Genie" looks 'young' - but the topics are suitable for my sixth graders, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks young but the cover is deceiving - it definitely talks about issues that sixth graders deal with such as puberty, friendship issues, and iphones/itouches too.

      Delete
  4. Melanie, thanks for talking about these. I haven't heard of any of them, so will be sure to look them up to put them on my list. Sydney & Sydney looks like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete