Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



So many of my book recommendations come from teachmentortexts.com, a website that links many bloggers and lets us all share what we have read over the week. Jen and Kellee read an incredible amount of books and the rest of the bloggers who share books on Mondays keep my TBR pile high! To see what others are reading or to participate, follow the link to their blog.

I read many posts about Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson over the last few months since many bloggers were anticipating the release of the sequel which was released last week. I loved getting to know Hattie and the rest of the characters in Montana and I definitely wanted to hear more about this brave and resilient young woman. Hattie Big Sky would be a great book to use for teaching about character, for studying strong woman heroines, or for reading in conjunction with a Social Studies unit on westward expansion. Hattie Ever After is definitely on my TBR list as I can't wait to hear how Hattie finds success and belonging.



I also read Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson and if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Melanie Swider wrote about it here. What a special book! I came home and ordered it that same day.

Rounding out this post with some humor, is Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin. This one had been on my list for a while through some IMWAYR posts and I got my hands on it while I was browsing the bookstore. I enjoyed Dragons Love Tacos, not only for the humor, but also as a mentor text for focus and voice and a great read for practicing prediction.

Happy reading,
Melanie Meehan

7 comments:

  1. I'm really intrigued by the Hattie books - I like novels with strong women characters - and this sounds like a must-read. Hopefully, I get to borrow it from our libraries soon. I also enjoyed Each Kindness - such a beautiful story - lots to discuss and explore in classroom discussion with that book. Haven't read Dragons Love Tacos yet - looks like a fun book! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love Hattie! One of my top ten books of all time. She's a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 3 books in my TBR pile, can't wait to get my hands on them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Dragons Love Tacos on hold at my library, can't wait to get it. I have been looking for a copy of Each Kindness and have heard great things about it. I LOVED Hattie Big Sky also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will love Hattie Ever After too. I agree that Hattie Big Sky would be perfect for all of the purposes you outlined above. I also loved Each Kindness for its simplicity in telling a story about actions that can't be taken back and how we should always act.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think you've read my post & know how much I enjoyed Hattie Big Sky too; it is terrific. And I wrote about Each Kindness earlier. What a beautiful story. Thanks for telling about the dragon book. I'll be sure to look for it-sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read all of these titles and thoroughly enjoyed them too! Like you, can't wait to get my hands on the next Hattie book. My students shared some funny thoughts on Dragons Love Tacos (here is the link: http://thereisabookforthat.com/2012/12/04/dragons-love-tacos/)

    ReplyDelete