Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My First Slice of Life- Preparing for the March Challenge


The Tuesday Slice of Life is hosted by Two Writing Teachers, Stacey and Ruth every single Tuesday.  During March, they host a daily writing challenge. I have been thinking about participating in the weekly Slice of Life for almost a year now since our blog is about to have its first birthday. While it might be easier to start as a once a week slicer, I am going to do my best to keep up with the daily writing challenge throughout the month of March and I am grateful to Stacey and Ruth for their invitations and encouragement to join these writers. I am also grateful to the support team. I have never met LeAnn Carpenter, who is the concierge for my section of the alphabet; I have not met LeAnn before, but she has already sent me a welcoming email! (I can do this!)

My husband and daughters shook their heads at me when I told them that I am committing to a daily writing post for the month of March. When I tried to talk any of them into joining me, they shook their heads harder. All yours, Mom. So, why am I doing this challenge? 
  • I miss writing creatively. I have been doing a lot of writing but the information oriented genre has not been scratching my narrative itch. I will work hard to have my months of slices lean more toward the narrative genre.
  • I learn about myself when I write. I remember events that I thought I had forgotten and I think about events more deeply than when they just happen.
  • I study people in my world more when I am writing. I ask questions and notice more. Even though I feel like I am living in different worlds because I think about my narratives, I feel more present and aware of the world and the people around me. I listen and observe more carefully because I want to remember and re-create.
Over the summer, I read Stephen Kings' book, On Writing, and I wrote every day. Then, the school year began and I abandoned my struggling character. I'm not planning on returning to Katy and her issues until the summer, but I am looking forward to exploring other territories for creative writing during the next month. So on to March 1st. 

10 comments:

  1. YAY! Welcome to the challenge. I LOVED it last year and am having my students join me this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all come into the challenge for different reasons. You will discover a new part of you. It does make you a careful observer of life around you. You might warn your family they will be fodder for your slices. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're IN for the SOLSC, Melanie. It'll be great to have you as part of our writing community. (Think you can get your girls to join us next year?)

    WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I will be laying my other projects down until summer. I know that this will be a wonderful experience, difficult days of writing and others where it flows. The community that is created is the best part. Thanks for joining. xo nanc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting time to wait for the Slice of Life March Challenge to begin!! Perhaps your family will become your faithful commentators during the challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, fellow slicer! The three reasons you gave for wanting to join t he challenge were exactly the reasons I joined in the first place, and have stayed slicing ever since. It is such a worthwhile writing endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. I must force myself to cheer from the sidelines as I'm moving next month and things are way too crazy right now. Excited.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to meet you and congratulations on your choice to write every day. Be sure to share your ups and downs of writing every day. It's to know you're not alone in this challenge. You will do well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to Slice of Life! It's a super nice community and really does inspire you to somehow squish out those ten or fifteen minutes a day to get a slice together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the same thing as you...I thought about joining the Slice of Life on Tuesdays, but didn't take the plunge until I did the challenge last year. My students did it with me. This year, 2 other classrooms are joining my class and our principal will be writing with us too. I'm looking forward to getting back into writing daily again. :)

    ReplyDelete