Monday, April 30, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

One of the problems with sharing a blog and participating in Jen and Kellee's (teachmentortexts.com) challenge to post about our week of reading is that I find myself reading the recommendations of my blogging partner, Melanie Swider. Over the week, I read some of her recommendations, including Ivan the One and Only (loved it!) and Mindset (loved it a couple of years ago and still think it's an incredibly important book for teachers and parents!) Since Mel reads more children's literature than I do, I don't often get to tell her about a book but The Cloud Spinner by Michael Catchpool was new to her. (Full disclosure--it's only been out for just over a month.)


I picked up this book at Barnes and Noble because I love the illustrator, Alison Jay, and I was so glad I did.  Not only does The Cloud Spinner lend itself to environmental units and issues, but it also has a subtle ethical debate. The princess in the story has to decide between obeying her parents and doing the right thing for the environment. Right versus right decisions are so important to discuss with students and this is a book that can inspire classroom conversations along the lines of "what would you do if..."


I'm working on a list of books that have ethical dilemmas in them. If anyone has suggestions, please share!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'll have to think about books with ethical dilemmas. The Cloud Spinners is new to me. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will definitely grab this one to add to my Earth Day books with Marty McGuire Digs Worms! and The Lorax. Thank you :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete