Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Slice of Life: Sometimes it's about more than the game...

Thanks to Stacey, Dana, Tara, Betsy, Anna, and Beth, the amazing writers and thinkers who host the Slice of Life community every Tuesday. Everyone is welcome to join with posts or comments at twowritingteachers.wordpress.com!

I spent my day collecting ideas for my slice of life post. I should have written it yesterday when we had an unplanned "rain day"--nothing about it warranted a school cancellation. Somehow, I managed to find enough to make my day of nothing really busy. I thought I would have time to write my slice before my daughter's basketball game. I'm glad I didn't. Nothing that I collected over the course of the day compared to the halftime show.

In Farmington, we have a strong unified sports program and many, many of our students are involved with our students with special needs. Tonight was the Unified Alumni versus Current Students Game, and I have known several of the athletes who played since they were in preschool. During the halftime of an intense varsity game, all of the fans from both towns cheered as people with a wide range of disabilities shot, scored, dribbled, defended, rebounded, passed, laughed, and celebrated themselves and each other. There was an incredible amount of joy on the court during halftime!

When the opposing team returned to the court, they could have been annoyed that they couldn't warm up. Instead, they all sat on their bench and cheered with us. And when the game ended, our varsity team high-fived the players, as all of the fans gave them a standing ovation. Wait. It keeps getting better. The other team, a highly competitive rival of ours from a neighboring town, joined the Farmington teams in the center of the court to congratulate and give one last cheer for the halftime players. My picture doesn't do justice to the sportsmanship, acceptance, and positive spirit of these teenagers' actions as they all shared the court. #soproud.



Over the next few days, I will be sharing some of teaching moments that I collected today. Tonight I am sharing a celebration.

Happy Slicing,






11 comments:

  1. What a great story! Sounds like this is the biggest win all season for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you got a lot of writing done on your rain day.

    Looking forward to reading more about the teaching moments you collected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, this is such a wonderful moment to witness! So much in the world today about teenager's lack of respect, apathy, etc. Here, you witnessed the good that does exist in so many kids today. Great Slice - thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great moment for all of these kids. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you waited to post, Melanie. It's so good to hear a story like this, and so good for the teens, too, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you waited Melanie. I can't stop smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your story, what a tribute to the teens of today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally awesome that they celebrated in such a meanful way-wearing proud! Great slice to wait on...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful example of how making connections can lead to peace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great moment - and it's even more special being that it was spontaneous.

    ReplyDelete