Monday, November 26, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?





It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

So many of my book recommendations have been from the weekly shares on teachmentortexts.com. Thank you to Jen and Kellee for hosting and thank you to all who contribute their reading lists! To see what others are reading, head on over to the website and link into all of the reading recommendations.



One of the books I read was This is Not My Hat by Jon Classen. What a great book for teaching inferences to young students since so much of the story is relayed through the pictures! It's also a terrific mentor text for younger students to show them how important details in pictures can be.

I also read Ralph Tells a Story by Abby Hanlon, which I heard about from a post by Stacey Shubitz. I can't recommend this book highly enough as a mentor text for primary writing workshops. Ralph can't think of a story within a writing workshop classroom and the comments and resolution are funny and spot on.

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole is a beautiful picture book. Enough bloggers have written about it that I ordered it and I'm glad I did. There are no written words, a parallel to the plot, but the pictures tell a powerful and poignant story. Additionally, I loved the author's note at the end and his invitation to people to create their own stories from the pictures.

Check, Please! (Frankly, Frannie) by AJ Stern is a book that I could see appealing to younger elementary students. Frannie has a great voice, a unique way of making up words, and ultimately, a strong understanding of the power of her words and writing. The restaurant review that Frannie finally writes is a great example of persuasive writing to share and talk about with students.


Professionally, I have been reading Franki Sibberson's The Joy of Planning. Melanie Swider recommended Franki's book on an earlier IMWAYR post. I completely agree with all the accolades this book has received!



Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get to Unspoken when it gets in to our library . . . I adore Henry Cole. And I agree with your thoughts on using This is Not My Hat to work on inferences.

    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete