Sunday, March 6, 2016

Day 6: #SOL16- Sentences With Double Meanings


The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by the inspirational writers of Two Writing Teachers. Each March, they invite people to join them in a commitment to write every day. Here's to another year of daily slicing!

I'm still celebrating National Grammar Day which was on March 4th--the only calendar day of the year that is also a command. I posted a slice about it yesterday. 

With grammar on my mind, I had a long drive with my daughter Julia, who is a high school senior. She was a captive audience for me, as I was trying to think of sentences that could have double meanings along the lines of March 4th/ march forth. Julia knows the classic missing comma example: Let's eat, Grandma/ Let's eat Grandma, so she caught on quickly. 

We came up with:
Will he read the whole book?/ Will, he read the whole book!
Mom is their dinner./ Mom, is there dinner?
Where are pants from my brother?/ Wear our pants from my brother!

If anyone could come up with more, please include double meaning sentences in the comments. I'm looking to build a collection!

Happy Sunday!


8 comments:

  1. Fun. I have a long drive ahead of me today. Now I know what I'll be doing.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie,
    Love the sentences you and Julia constructed. We have one we use with fluency about principals and teachers. It's close to this . . .
    "The principal," said the teacher, "is so devoted to the learning needs of the students."
    The principal said, "The teacher is so devoted to the learning needs of the students."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie,
    Love the sentences you and Julia constructed. We have one we use with fluency about principals and teachers. It's close to this . . .
    "The principal," said the teacher, "is so devoted to the learning needs of the students."
    The principal said, "The teacher is so devoted to the learning needs of the students."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Melanie, and tried to write one. Here is one attempt:
    “Sad!” Marigold thought, about her drawings.
    Sad Marigold thought about her drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This, Mom, is amazing!
    This mom is amazing!

    I'm sure you've seen the book Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lots of fun, Melanie. Have you heard of crash blossoms? Here's a link to an article that was in the NYTimes a few years ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/magazine/31FOB-onlanguage-t.html

    ReplyDelete