Friday, March 8, 2013

#Slice 2013: 8 of 31- What's Left?


 For the month of March, I have joined many bloggers in the Slice Challenge of 2013, hosted by Stacey Shubitz and Ruth Ayres of twowritingteachers.wordpress.com. Join us or check out some of the writing that people are doing by following the links in the comments. In the spirit of Poetry Friday, I have tried my hand at a poem that has been drafting itself in my mind this week.


What's Left?


They come early. Can we look around?

We pull out lamps and linen, frames and books, china and candlesticks.
DVDs, CDs, platters, glasses, chairs, a sofa.
We put them out for people


to see
what's left
and
who wants it

A clock, a radio, a sander, a jigsaw.
Do they work? How much for all of them?
Nails, washers, bolts, screws. All sizes. Have them.
Yards of electrical tape and wire.
You can use this? Have it.

What's left?
Sheets, pillows, towels, napkins with holiday motifs from Easter and Christmas and St. Patrick's Day and Thanksgiving folded in piles.
Halloween costumes from rowdy times--who was Little Red Riding Hood and who was the wolf?--

On tables for people

to see

what's left
and
who wants them

Tools and nails and piping and yards of fabric and balls of yarn.
An unfinished hat for an unborn baby.
Worth something somewhere to someone.

How much? Ten dollars. I'll give you five. Nine dollars. Seven. Fine.

A small vase. Where's it from? Don't know. A gift from a friend, maybe? From a visiting relative? From someone else's collection? Don't know.

Never asked.

What's left?

What is left?



10 comments:

  1. Made me smile AND made me consider doing a poetry Friday! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like garage sale season has moved into your world. I'm in snow mode this morning, but garage sale season always follows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your poem. I need to write some poetry again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE preparing for a yard sale! Then the picking through and the perpetual question, Will you take less? Arggg! It's only a quarter! Thanks for reminding me why I don't want to do yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, almost yard sale season! Time to clean out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Elsie....we pack everything in boxes and drive it over to Goodwill. BUT...I do enjoy the occasional estate sale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No yard sales for me either! It is Goodwill or friends. I have noticed that many items that I no longer need/want, are turning out to be useful in the classroom (no sanders or other electronics). Science experiments etc. Poetry Fridays sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rhythm and the wonderful images. Great way to look at a garage sale - and at all of our possessions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the rhythm of the conversations rolling along one after another. Made me think about whats left after... children are grown, parents are gone. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do wonder when you go to garage sales about the stories behind the items. None of us can keep it all. What's left is the memories!

    ReplyDelete